Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Eve's Apples: 13+ things to do in 'Awesome Auckland' when its th...: Places to go - things to do ! 1. IF YOU DON'T HAVE WHEELS.... Great transport - Britomart Station in the city - can get...
Sunday, August 28, 2011
1. IF YOU DON'T HAVE WHEELS....
Great transport -
- Britomart Station in the city - can get you on a train to far and wide - to the West or South of the city.
- A Ferry - catch a ferry across to Devonport from the Viaduct, else a longer ferry ride to one of the nearby islands for the day.
- A Boat - catch a boat for a harbour ride, to sight whales and dolphins or else a sunset cocktail ride.
- Buses - loads of buses and in the city centre there is the 'free bus' that takes you on a circuit ride. Catch it outside Britomart Station, near the Viaduct. It will take you right to The Sky Tower. Going up the sky Tower is a MUST !
- Taxis - a tad more costly, but will get you from A to Z.
- If at the Viaduct - in the City - your feet can walk you from the Hilton Hotel opposite the Maritime Museum across the drawbridge and to more eateries, the Viaduct Entertainment Centre and to the Fish Market and the Wynyard Tram....
- If you're a fisherman, grab a rod and hit the water... Get info on safety rules and regulations from the place where you hire your kit!
The Free Bus
2. IF YOU HAVE FEET, WHEELS, A TAXI OR A BUS.... depending on location!
i) There's the Museum on the Domain, else the Art Gallery in the City Centre, also the Maritime Museum at the Viaduct.
ii)Waiheke Island - a great day trip if you enjoy arty places, though a weekend is preferable.
It's a 40 minute ferry ride one way from the Viaduct area.
iii) West Coast Beaches - Piha, Karekare, Kakamatua, Huia... a day trip to one of these gorgeous places is recommended. Karekare is where the movie, 'The Piano' was filmed.
iv) Gannet Colony - Murawai, to learn about these fascinating migratory sea birds.
v) If you want to Ski - Snow planet indoor skiing.
vi) Auckland Zoo - a top zoo and truly worth the visit.
vii) Motat (Museum of Transport & Technology)
and Western Springs Lake, next to the Zoo
viii) A Maori Marae - to learn about Maori culture
ix) Devonport - catch the ferry and see the WWII site and tunnels and armoury.
x) Extreme Sports - bungee jumping off the Harbour Bridge
or from the Sky Tower, Jet Ski adventures in the harbour....etc.
xi) Dining, wining, live music, funky shopping & browsing...
The Waterfront, Parnell, Ponsonby, Takapuna, Mission Bay & Devonport, or infamous K Road.
xii) Golf - there are loads of golf courses- check them out in the yellow pages.... some top class courses such as the Titirangi Golf Club in the West, Takapuna in the North and Howick in the East.
xiii) Country - Take a flight, ride or hike in the country - Taupaki, Hellensville, Kaipara- way in the West, else Matakana and Warkworth up North. For hiking, definitely the magnificent Waitakere Ranges in the West; very close to the city ! Or just mellow at one the rural beaches or in the country to fuel the soul away from the crowds !! ...