Monday, August 13, 2012

Feeling utterly shattered....







One never knows when it's going to happen to you or to a loved one. It's about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.... so often just RaNdOm  RANDOM  rAnDoM...
It's a common phenomenon in South Africa. So many lives lost. Such futility... Such wasted lives, so unnecessary... take the bloody vehicle and let the driver and pedestrians walk away. 
The carnal brutality, the ruthless bestial mentality has shattered so many people's lives and psyches. So many innocent men, women and children GoNe gOnE GONE.
Every time I feel deliciously lulled and romanticised and lured back to South Africa, another violent catastrophe occurs and hits me in my soul...   

I feel the tragedy with visceral agitation and gut anguish, as though he were my own son. I feel the tragic loss. I feel a mother's cry, a father's deep shock at finding his lifeless son, callously dumped next to the road, his loyal dog sitting at his side. I have felt bereft with a sense of dis-ease and foreboding...it gets too close to bear... The sense of mass denial; the desensitisation of an apparent war zone disturbs me to the core. 
I may have met him a few times. He was good enough to date my beloved daughter some years ago; A young man with a promising life is no more. What did he endure in his last moments ? What went through his mind ? What did the mad man with a gun feel ? Why is life so cheap ? What does it say about humanity ? What does it say about depravity ? What does it say about hope, optimism and about the human spirit ? 
South Africa needs a miracle... one life after another annihilated senselessly, ruthlessly... People say 'enough is enough' until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment